Spinach & Cheese Grissini
Author: Arwen Genge
INSPIRED IDEAS: For Chef Ellie Emmett’s plain grissini from her The Real food for Kids Cookbook, skip the spinach,cheese & sesame steps & use all the dough & cut into strips. (Ellie often makes half the dough into grissini & the other half for a pizza base.) Try Dani Valent’s variations from In the Mix 1- Grissini with apricot & cardamon paste – a Caroline Velik recipe. Or search for Dani Valent on the Thermomix recipe community to find her Semi-dried Tomato Grissini with Rosemary.
- 500g bakers or plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp bread improver (optional) 1 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 300g lukewarm water
- Place, yeast, flour, bread improver, salt, olive oil and water in the TM bowl. Mix for 6 sec/speed 6, then for 2 min/ interval setting (dough kneading)
- Turn onto a Thermomat and wrap, or tip into a greased bowl and cover with a damp tea towel or cling wrap.
- Leave for an hour or so, until dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees, fan forced. Grease or line a large baking tray.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Chop 50g baby spinach leaves add half the dough & knead again for about 1 min/interval setting or until all incorporated.
- Remove from bowl then chop 60 grams of parmesan cheese 5 sec/ speed 10.
- On the Thermomat or a floured board, sprinkle sesame seeds (optional), press or roll the green dough into a rectangle around 40 x 30 cm.
- Spread the cheese over the dough, spray with some oil to help it stick to the next layer.
- Roll out the whole piece of white dough to the same size & place on top of the cheese & the green dough pressing gently.
- Sprinkle with black sesame seeds (optional).
- For shorter dipping sticks cut the joined dough through the middle with your spatula making 2 long rectangles 40cm by 15cm approx.
- Then thinly slice through 1cm wide slices twisting & stretching each one place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 15 mins or until golden & crisp.
- Allow to cool & store in an airtight container.