We made this delicious trifle at our recent INSPIRE Christmas cooking class
INSPIRED TRIFLE IDEAS:
This is a favourite recipe my friend’s Mum used to make for us. The original recipe used 2 packets of port wine jelly instead of using the cherry “juice” to make the jelly.
You may also like to add cherry liqueur to the jelly 🙂
There are so many different combos for a trifle, use any kind of fruit – fresh figs, pomegranate seeds, passionfruit, mango, berries, kiwi fruit, then make a jelly to go, with that fruit even a wine or sparkling wine jelly.
Match it with your style cake a plain sponge, or try chocolate, orange or pistachio.
Then flavour your custard to match or use a lemon or lime curd for something different.
Top with fresh whipped cream & something for a bit of crunch your favourite nuts, biscuits, toasted coconut, chocolate.
- Black Forest Trifle
- 1 chocolate cake or chocolate sponge
- 1 x 600g jar morello cherries, keep the liquid
- 2 teaspoons gelatine power
- 1000g cream
- 100g flaked almonds, lightly toasted or coconut flakes
- 50g dark chocolate, or to taste
- Chocolate Custard
- 1000g milk
- 100g Corn Flour
- 150g dark chocolate, good quality (add more to taste)
- 150g sugar, or to taste
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 40g unsalted butter
- Black Forest Trifle
- Heat 100g of the liquid from the cherry jar for 3 mins/100 degrees/speed 1, add the gelatin & mix for 5 secs/speed 5.
- Add the rest of the liquid & mix for another secs speed 5.
- Using a strainer pour into your chosen glass trifle container or individual glasses (8).
- You can either add the cherries now & place into the fridge to set or place the cake in to soak up the cherry jelly & place the cherries on top & into the fridge to set. In a clean TM bowl whip your cream with the butterfly around 20 - 30 secs /speed 3.5-Time will vary depending on how fresh your cream is. Place the cream to one side & without needing to clean the bowl, place all the custard ingredients to the bowl. Cook for 15 mins 90 degrees speed 4 or until thick.
- Pour the chocolate custard on top of the cherry jelly & cake. Place into the fridge. Once it has cooled completely spread the top of the custard with cream & sprinkle with almonds & grated dark chocolate & or toasted coconut flakes & fresh cherries. Can be made the day before, although the cream is best done on the day of serving.
- I like to use the sponge cake from the Devil of a Cookbook replacing use 40g of cornflour with cocoa powder.