Use this delicious paste to make Helen’s Massaman Curry Recipe
Helen's Massaman Curry Paste
Author: Helen Ellis
Recipe type: Dinner
Serves: 2 jars
I have Thermofied Helen's by making the paste in the Thermomix pureeing the paste ingredients on speed 10 for 10 secs.
- 10g dried red chillies, soaked in boiling hot water for 30 mins.
- 2 cardamom pods, roasted
- 1¼ teaspoons cumin seeds, roasted
- 1½ teaspoons coriander seeds, roasted
- 1½ teaspoons shrimp paste,
- ¼ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon galangal, peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ cup garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- Roast the shrimp paste, wrapped in foil and roasted in 200C oven for 15 mins
- Roast dry spices as noted above (except for dried chillies and shrimp paste), in dry pan stirring constantly, till pungent, then put aside.
- Combine roasted dry spices, peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon into the Thermomix Bowl for 1 min/ speed 10.
- Remove chillies from water (keep the water) and chop finely & add to the dry spices.
- Add all remaining paste ingredients and process 30 secs to a min on speed 9 to a form a paste, using some of the chilli soaking water if the paste needs to be moistened during this process.
- Makes approx 1 cup of paste. Paste can be kept frozen in an ice cube container, or will keep in the fridge for approx 2 weeks.