Thermomix Lemon & Poppy Seed Cake
This recipe is a slight variation on a family favourite when we were growing up, also the first job I ever had was helping a lady bake cakes to sell to cafe’s, & we made a version of this (along with the Chocolate Zucchini Cake recipe).
First soak your poppy seeds in the milk ( also if you run out of poppy seeds you can substitute with black sesame seeds if you need too :-))
Next blitz the lemon zest with the sugar, to make a lemon flavoured sugar.
Mix all the cake ingredients together; the time is quick & the speed slower to avoid making the cake to tough & dry.
Another tip from my younger days is if you are not using your homemade butter use the paper that the butter came in instead of baking paper, it’s something my mum always did & she saved the butter papers in the fridge in case we needed to use them for a cake. It’s a great way to save money & time because the paper is already “pre-greased” with some of the leftover butter 🙂
While the cake is cooking you cake make the glaze. If you don’t have whole vanilla beans & you want to use vanilla bean paste that is fine too :-).
When the cake is cooked through poke some holes all around it & pour the glaze over so it soaks into the cake.
It’s the best served warm with a cuppa – enjoy!
- 100 grams poppy seeds
- 120 grams milk
- Zest from 1 Lemon
- 200 grams sugar raw
- 140 grams vegetable oil, or rice bran oil
- 300 grams plain four
- dash ground cinammon
- 2.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ vanilla bean, or 1 tsp vanilla extract/paste
- zest from 1 Lemon
- 40 grams butter cubes
- 50 grams honey
- 15 grams lemon juice
- Soak poppy seeds in milk for 1 hr.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
- Put sugar & lemon zest into the TM bowl & process for 20 secs on speed 10.
- Add rest of the cake ingredients to TM bowl & mix for 4 secs speed 4, scrape down sides of bowl & mix 4 secs on speed 4.
- Pour into lined cake tin & bake for approx. 45 mins or until cooked through.
- While the cake is cooking make the glaze by placing vanilla bean & lemon zest into the TM bowl & process for 20 secs on speed 10.
- Add remaining ingredients for the glaze and cook 2 mins 50 degrees speed 2.
- Process for 10 secs on speed 10.
- While cake is still warm stick a skewer into it quite a few times all over the cake & pour over Vanilla, Lemon Glaze.