We made this recipe at the Taste Theatre to show making fresh pesto to use in a chickpea & cheese scroll recipe – featuring Tasmanian cheeses.
Pumpkin, Pesto, Chickpea & Cheese Scrolls
Author: Arwen Genge
Recipe type: Baking
- 150 g parmesan cheese, cubed
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 100 g extra virgin olive oil
- 60 g pine nuts, you may like to lightly toast before hand
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 100 grams chickpea four (you can make your own in the TM)
- 100 grams butternut pumpkin, roughly chopped
- 400 grams bakers’ flour
- 20 grams extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 220 grams lukewarm water
- 20 grams pepita (pumpkin) seeds
- 1 yeast sachet, (about 7g)
- 100g feta cheese
- 100g cheddar cheese cubed
- Make the pesto first by putting parmesan cheese into TM bowl & process 5 secs on speed 10.
- Set aside & weigh 50g of parmesan cheese back into the TM bowl.
- Add garlic, basil, 100g olive oil, pine nuts, salt & pepper & chop for 10 secs speed 10.
- Scrape pesto out of the bowl & place into a container.
- Without cleaning the bowl, add the pumpkin & chop for 5 secs speed 7.
- Add the chickpea flour, warm water, yeast, bakers flour, salt, pepita seeds, 20g olive oil & mix for 5 secs speed 6.
- Set time for 1.5 mins on interval setting to knead the dough - you may need to add extra flour if your mix is too sticky.
- Remove the dough & allow to rest for about ½ hour.
- Without cleaning the bowl, put the cheddar & fetta cheese into the bowl & chop for 3 secs speed 5.
- Place the dough onto a work surface sprinkled with flour & roll out into a large rectangle.
- Spread some of the pesto onto the dough, sprinkle with the 3 cheeses.
- Then roll into a long scroll shape & cut into 12 scrolls.
- Place onto tray lined with baking paper allow to prove for ½ hour & bake for 20 - 25 mins at 200 degrees or until brown.